Brian J. Crepeau - Partner
As chair of RMG's Tax Controversy group and Executive Partner of the firm, Brian J. Crepeau's initial goal when providing tax representation to his clients is to lend clarity to complex tax related situations. This personal approach enables the client's understanding of the challenges ahead, and outlines a unique case strategy, all with the ultimate goal of achieving the best possible outcome.
Brian concentrates on federal and state tax controversy matters for individual and corporate taxpayers. He represents clients in all phases of administrative disputes before the Internal Revenue Service and Comptroller of Maryland, and litigates tax cases before the United States Tax Court.
Brian represents corporations in complex audits, and provides tax planning advice on a wide range of issues. His controversy and litigation experience extends to all areas of federal income taxation as well as state and local tax matters. As a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and a Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) he is particularly skilled in cases involving IRS Exams, accounting practice and procedures and fraud.
Before graduating from law school, Brian worked for public accounting firms, a Fortune 500 Corporation and a global consulting firm. In this capacity, he has advised private and public companies across multiple industries on SEC and financial reporting, taxation matters and Sarbanes-Oxley issues.
Prior to joining the firm in 2008, Brian practiced in Annapolis, Maryland and acted as a consultant to international law firms on accounting fraud, SEC investigations, revenue recognition issues, fraudulent business mergers and acquisitions, and tax fraud and evasion.
- American University, Washington College of Law, J.D. (2003)
- Bridgewater State University, B.S. in Management Science-Accounting (1997)
- U.S. Tax Court
Recent Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, "The Basics of Civil Tax Controversies Including 10 Things Every Lawyer Should Know", Anne Arundel County Bar Association, Annapolis, MD
- Speaker, "Identify Fraud", Accounting 101 for Attorneys, NBI, Inc., Baltimore, MD
- Speaker, "IRS Examinations", Federal Tax Update/Independent Contractor vs. Employee & IRS Examinations, Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants, Southern Maryland Chapter, La Plata, MD